A “blogroll” is old school blog jargon for a list of links to other blogs. The tradition began in the early days of blogging as a friendly way to connect with other bloggers and share traffic. Few people bother with blogrolls any more but I like the idea of having a list of blogs I like reading for personal reference and making recommendations. Presently this list is focused exclusively on Taiwan 台灣, the main subject of my own blog these days.
Travel and adventure
- Josh Ellis: a photography blog with deep insight into lesser-known places all around Taiwan.
- G’day Taiwan by Quyen; adventures of a wandering Australian in Taiwan.
- Hidden Taiwan: Tom Rook’s fantastic blog about obscure historic, abandoned, and outdoorsy stuff in Taiwan.
- Nick Kembel: mindful travel and photography from a long-time resident and published author.
- Clarissa Wei: eclectic stories from all over Taiwan.
- Taiwan In Cycles: a tremendous resource for bicycling in Taiwan.
- Hiking Taiwan and Taiwan Adventures by Stu Dawson; fantastic resources for anyone interested in adventuring in the great outdoors in Taiwan.
- Off The Beaten Track by Richard Saunders; a fantastic adventuring resource with hiking, river tracing, travel, and more.
- Taiwan: The Bradt Travel Guide and Travel Freelancer, both by Steven Crook; all sorts of great stuff and insider information from a professional travel writer.
- The World Is Not That Big and Taiwan’s Waterfalls by Kirk Beiser; fantastic travel resources with a special focus on waterfalls.
- Follow Xiaofei: waterfalls and other adventures; see also: hot springs and waterfalls map.
- Rubli by Martin Rubli; a high mountain hiking blog with tons of info, elevation charts, and good maps. Great material for anyone tackling the 100 Peaks.
- Greenset (Chinese): an incredible index of abandoned places in Taiwan (also see his Flickr).
- Wolf Shepherd (Chinese): an excellent resource for anyone interested in abandoned mines.
Politics and society
- The View From Taiwan: Michael Turton’s fantastic and regularly updated blog about all things Taiwan. Highly political but also full of cycling tips and lots of photos from all over the place.
- New Bloom Magazine: politics, activism, youth culture, and all kinds of other topics from Brian Hoie and company.
- Taiwan Reporter: all things Taiwan in German (or click for English posts only).
- Frozen Garlic: detailed election and political analysis.
- Lao Ren Cha: incisive views of Taiwanese society with a progressive slant (and much more).
- Letters From Taiwan by Ben Goren; put your finger on the progressive zeitgeist.
- Taiwan In Perspective by Michael Thim; politics, security, and defense.
- Taiwan Law Blog: news, analysis, and commentary on Taiwanese law and legal issues.
- Dodging Scooters: mass transit and urban planning from an expat New Yorker.
- The Far Eastern Sweet Potato by J. Michael Cole.
- Tricky Taipei by Kathy Cheng; travel, design, food, and lifestyle blogging with a strong focus on quality.
- Typing To Taipei by Monica; current events and everyday reflections of another Australian in Taiwan.
- The Thousandth Girl: sharp-tongued restaurant, cafe, and nightlife reviews and lifestyle writing.
- Amy Chyan: multimedia journalist presently writing about Taipei and Taiwan.
- Mokolist: Emily’s favourite cafes, dessert spots, and other adventures.
- Lucy In Taipei: street scenes, culture, and stories from around the big city.
- Eating in Taipei: restaurants reviews, simple and straight-forward.
- Jaysun Eats Taipei: well-organized restaurant reviews with plenty of photos.
- The Vegan Dan Dan: veganism and ethical living in Taiwan.
Culture and history
- Far From Formosa by Katherine Alexander; insightful and informed analysis of Taiwanese culture.
- The Writing Baron by James Baron; all kinds of subjects with sharp and incisive writing, as the name would imply.
- Wanhua Blog by Patrick Cowsill; history and cultural observations.
- The Battle of Fisherman’s Wharf: a history blog with a particular focus on Tamsui 淡水 (see also: Cheng History).
- Taipei Air Station: strongly focused on the experiences of US military personnel in Taiwan during the Cold War.
- Translating Taiwanese Literature by Conor Stuart; translations, film and book reviews, plenty of commentary on passive-aggressive notes and the like.
- Taiwan Air Power (Chinese): detailed histories, maps, and photos of anything to do with aerial warfare in Taiwan.
- The Daily Bubble Tea: observations of daily life and travel from Nantou.
- Poagao’s Journal by photographer and filmmaker TC Lin, who merits his own Wikipedia page.
- Taiwan Fun Times by Dokuya: travel blogging from all around Taiwan.
- Vagabond In Taiwan: food, lifestyle, culture.
- Ink+Adventure by Jamie; travel blogging and expat life.
- Living In Taiwan by Tony Coolidge; observations of daily life and culture.
- Foreign Sanctuary by Constance; personal reflections and travel blogging from an aspiring Canadian writer.
- Joseph Fritz: a blend of outsider opinion and daily living tips from Taichung 台中.
- Taiwanvore: food and culture blogging from Kaohsiung 高雄.
- Andi on Adventure: travel tales from an American expat in Hsinchu 新竹.
- Where The Superheroes Are (Chinese): Taipei coffee culture news and reviews.
Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it isn’t useful. Plenty of great stuff can be found on inactive blogs!
- Tainan City Guide: just as it says, a fantastic guide to the many attractions of Tainan 台南, the historic southern capital of Taiwan. This blog might be inactive but most of the information is still valid!
- Erenlai: more a magazine than a blog but filled with plenty of interesting articles by a wide variety of contributors.
- Solidarity: translated news and analysis.
- Biking In Taiwan: useful cycling info with route maps and lots of photos.
- Formosa On Two Wheels: a photo-heavy bicycle blog with content from all over Taiwan.
- The Cycling Canadian has been all over the place—but his writing about Taiwan will be of particular interest to any cyclists out there.
- Taiwan Loves Coffee and Taipei Cafes haven’t been updated in years but most cafes listed are still in business.
- The Participant Observer by Ketty Chen; political activism from the streets, mainly active in the lead-up to the Sunflower Student Movement.
- Love, Dadaocheng: a beautiful blog with a focus on the old parts of Dàtóng District 大同區.
- Neil Wade’s Photography: great photos from around Taiwan.
- White Goldfish by Stuart Hill; reads a bit like a magazine with plenty of general interest articles and interviews.
- Pashan by Robert Scott Kelly; last updated in 2009 but still full of lots of information about hiking in Taiwan.
- Taiwanaut: travel blogging from all around Taiwan with lots of unusual content.
- David on Formosa: commentary about all things Taiwan.
- Made In Taiwan: adventures of a British industrial designer; you may need to rummage around to get to the Taiwan-specific content but there’s a lot of it.
Think your blog belongs here? Contact me!